Friday, March 16, 2007

Say what?!

Cate Blanchett has signed to play the female lead in Indiana Jones 4.

Now that's a hell of a catch, but I'm gobsmacked as to why the continuously in-demand Blanchett would choose the resuscitation of a twenty-year old franchise as her next movie. As much as I enjoy the Indy flicks, I'll be questioning the wisdom of a new installment with a 60-something Harrison Ford until the day of release. That, of course, has become a cliched criticism ever since the film was seriously mooted a few years ago, but it's a valid concern. Do Ford, Spielberg, and Lucas have blinkers on about the viability of this? Are they clouded by their understandable love for a really enjoyable set of movies? And being such a creature of the 80s, does Indy fit in to the modern world?

I'm skeptical, but would love to be proved wrong. And as puzzling as it is, Blanchett signing on suggests that this may end up being a pretty classy project after all. As soon as I heard this news I couldn't help recalling her flamboyant performance as Katherine Hepburn in The Aviator, and if she goes for that tone I think she'll fit right in.

[I am so chuffed with that picture. Just perfect for this news. Gotta love Google Image Search.]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though the Indy flicks have featured some classic action set-pieces, they really have always been about the character itself. And there is only one man that can play him, period.

That Harrison is too old to play Indy is beside the point. Yes, he's too old to play the Indy of the 80's, but Indy, like Harrison, has to age some day, and so Harrison is still the best choice.

It's a given that they will explore this area fully, and the casting of a slightly older-than-usual femme lead is the proof.

Adding the Blanchett is a positive move. Indy fans rejoice.

Jack said...

I'm definitely not suggesting that Ford be recast - on the contrary, if you do another Indy, you do it with him. I'm just unsure of the wisdom of making another at all, even with their sensible and inevitable consideration of the limitations of his age in the script. As Joss Whedon says, when does resuscitation become necrophilia? It will have been 19 years by the time of release...

But you're right, casting a woman of Blanchett's age and calibre sends a signal about their intentions. If she signs up for this of all possible franchises - I imagine any established one would kill to have her, but likely wouldn't be able to - then it has to have something very decent going for it. I'm just going to be cautious.

Anonymous said...

I dont know as much as most about the behind the scenes of hollywood movie making but I think it worth while to think about the current move in hollywood to show that age doesnt make one more useless or less attractive (admittedly most of these people have had large doses of plastic surgery). Look at basic instinct 2. Totally different genre i know, but there it is nonetheless.

I think everyone agrees that Ford can be the only Indy. I would go postal if someone actually tried Sean Patrick Flannery (young indiana jones) regardless of howmuch I love the boondock saints.

Never knew you did this type of thing this much Jack, will check in here more often.